Re: Ping Question?

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Sat May 09 1998 - 10:03:40 PDT

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 10:03:40 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ping Question?

Cameron & Gyorgyi Sutt wrote:

> Earlier, I asked about whether it was possible to grow p. vulgaris (I think
> that's what it is) outside, in the shade, when the temps get up to
> 35+C(96+F). I never received any replies. If someone has the time, please
> help me out here.
>
> Cameron
> Kansas City, Missouri
Cameron,

I've been to many P. vulgaris(P. macroceras I guess is the politically
correct name now) bogs and use to grow hundreds of them, but all in a
greenhouse. I never tried them outside because of the drying/low
humidity that has I've discussed yesterday in my area, but in the
greenhouse in southern Oregon, the temperatures frequently topped over
115 degrees F. with no damage to this species, but the humidity was kept
at an extremely high level by flooding the floor periodically with
water. When you find them in their natural habitat, they are always
either partially submerged in water in Serpentine seeps, or located
extremely near it with roots constantly saturated with cool, fresh
water. Temperatures in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness area where I've seen
the majority of them growing can reach over 100 degrees for weeks, but
they survive with no problem as long as there is fresh cold(below 50 F.)
water running through their roots. You could duplicate this, or at least
experiment by running cold water over the leaves and through your the
container they are growing in. This species lets you know real fast if
they aren't happy believe me.

Don't worry about not receiving many replies to your post, I very seldom
get any replies to mine either, but people are real busy this time of
year and it's hard to find time to spend on the computer for most of us.

Hope this helps some. Maybe not, but it was good typing practice anyway.

Take care,

Doug

Douglas Burdic
dburdic@presys.com