Re: Hardy upright Sarrs

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 13:18:13 PDT

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 14:18:13 -0600
From: John Green <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hardy upright Sarrs

I've been following the discussion on hardy pitcher plants. I live in
zone 5b (Salt Lake City, Utah) and I'm considering putting in a small
bog garden at the bottom of a rain gutter. I have a few concerns,
though, not wanting to kill any more cps than I already have. The space
is a bit limited by perennials already in the area, so does the bog need
to be very large? I plan on making it about 2' wide by 2' to 3' long
and at least 1' deep. Is that too small? I assume I'll have to line it
with plastic to keep other roots from invading. I have some S. oreo
that I can put in now, which I think are somewhat more hardy. The
average July humidity here is only 27%, maybe a bit higher locally with
the lawn and garden, and avg July rainfall is 0.72", so I may have to
rely a bit on the hose (avg high temp is 93F). Would it benefit me to
put charcoal in the bottom to absorb some of the minerals from the tap
water? Also, what do I need to do for it in the winter? Should I mulch
over it with straw or something in case the snow melts off? The spot is
on the SW corner of a brick house, so that'll keep it a bit warmer, but
it's also the first area to melt and would then be exposed. I realize
that it'll be mostly trial and error, but I'm hoping to avoid the error
as much as possible. It sounds like others would like to try it too, so
any advice from the more experienced is appreciated.