RE: Sulphur-based fungicide?

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 05:45:15 PDT

Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 12:45:15 +0000
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Sulphur-based fungicide?

>>My Serracenia terrarium has started growing fungas. It doesn't seem to
>be
>>bothering the plants but I want to get rid of the fungas. I bought a
>>garden-type spray fungicide whose main ingredient is sulphur. The label
>says
>>sulphur may be harmful to some plants, but I don't know if Serracenia
>>Purpurea is one of them. Any advice?
>
>Hi Palindro,
>
>Wettable sulfur is not harmful, at least in my experiences. I've put it
>on the exposed tissue of sliced rhizomes and one time I put it on the
>crown of a S. purpurea venosa to get rid of bugs. All are doing fine.
>
>David
>Atlanta

Hi All:

I have used pure (and wettable) sulphur powder for years on my CP's (_not_
Drosera). There have been no ill affects and it is very good as a
prevention measure for mold (fungoids) on bulbs, tubers and rhizomes, esp.
in storage. I have also found sulphur very helpful (but not perfect)
against insects, voles, marmots, deer and the dreaded house cat.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick