Re: i'm here!

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Thu May 07 1998 - 11:29:30 PDT

Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 11:29:30 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: i'm here!

The Scotts wrote:

> I did get on. Thanks to Matt and Doug for your help.
>
> Now for the question again.
>
> Just purchased a new VFT. My last one had extremely small traps which
> couldn't hold anything but gnats. Even then, they didn't seem all that
> strong. But I did keep it alive for about seven months, a record for
> me. This one has healthier traps with some red inside.
>
> I have a small fish bowl like container to put the plant in. The
> nursery staff told me to leave the plant in the store's container --
> about 2 1/2" wide -- and set it in the bowl. I have the sand and peat
> moss to use for transplanting. Any suggestions on this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rick
> jrscott@gte.net

Hi Rick,

Without actually seeing the plant, I don't know how large the root
system is, but just off the top of my head I'd say the nursery doesn't
know much about growing Dionaea. If it were me, I'd put at least an inch
of clean, washed gravel on the bottom of your terrarium and then use a
mix of 1:1 perlite/peat moss for your media. Made sure it is throughly
wet before you add it. Depending upon the size of the plant, VFTs need a
depth of at least 5 inches since they send out deep roots, but you could
get away with less for awhile. Only use distilled or some type of
purified water on your plant. You'll need to provide a very humid
atmosphere, so you may choose to cover half the opening with some sort
of plastic wrap. If placed outside, never expose it to full sunlight
with the top even partially covered, or you'll fry it. If you keep it
inside, a good east window should provide sufficient light to keep it
alive, but you probably won't get the nice coloration that plants grown
in full sun exhibit. Experiment...

There are several good books on cp out there which would be well worth
your time & money to purchase. Peitrapaulo's book is a good one to start
with, or either of Adrian Slack's if you can find a copy.

Best of Luck,

Doug

Douglas Burdic
dburdic@presys.com