RE: CP germination

From: Jaime Rodriguez (jaime@matnet.com)
Date: Wed May 06 1998 - 22:02:59 PDT

Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 21:02:59 -0800
From: "Jaime Rodriguez" <jaime@matnet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: CP germination

Hi Everyone!

I'll join the report to say that I got 90-100% germination of all the
Sarracenia seeds I received from David Mellard. I gave the seeds four
weeks cold stratification in moist paper towels in ziplock bags following
the Deno Method. As the seeds germinated, I sowed them in plug trays (123
cells per tray), two or three seeds to a cell in Sunshine 4 mix. They are
growing on under flourescent shop lights, temp at 70-80 degrees F, photo
period at 16 hrs. It has been more challenging keeping the humidity up.
If I put clear plastic shells over the trays, I get fungus and damping
off. When I leave the tops off, the tray dries out in capricious instant
flashes overnight. I have lost a few precious babies, more from drying
out than from fungus. I am trying a couple of trays in an unheated
greenhouse, kept at Temps that fluctuate from a low of 35 degrees to a
high of 85 on sunny days. So far, I have had less loss at the lower
temps, but the plants are growing much slower, too. The cool greenhouse
Sarrs have been showing cotyledons for 8 weeks. The indoor plants are
sending up juvenile leaves. I am now wondering what I will do with
several hundred miscellaneous infant Sarracenias. A big thank you to
David for the seeds, and to the CP list for the continuing info on how to
grow them to maturity. Some of these babies are destined for an experiment
in hardiness by getting planted in my bog garden outdoors. I will grow
some in pots and winter them in a root cellar. Others will get the
vegetable crisper of my refrigerator, and I'll try a few on the windowsill.

P.O. Box 871394 / \ /\ / \
Wasilla, Alaska, 99687 / \ / \/ \
USDA Zone 3 & 4 /v^v^v^v\_/v^v^v^v^v^v\
jaime@matnet.com / / \