Drosera Adelae seeds-

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 22:24:42 PDT

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 01:24:42 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera Adelae seeds-

I had metric tons of flowers on my adelaes last year- hundreds of
flowers on candy cane shaped stalks- and yet, I couldn't find one single
seed. I did however, get a few baby adelaes from seed that evidently
was produced. These develope much more slowly then your typical root
plantlets that adelaes love to poke out.

Has anyone seen any evidence of adelae inhibiting growth of surrounding
CP? One of my D. intermedias died when an adelae plantlet sprung up
near it and another began to whither... I cut the plantlet and pulled
the thick root out, and ever since, the sick intermedia has started to
rebound. I noticed the same thing happen to a VFT that's near the main
cluster of adelaes, but it seems to be recovering since I've nipped back
the encroaching adelaes.

My d. rotundifolia has finally come out of hibernation- slow waker!- and
has also done some plantlets of it's own from roots. I was rather
surprised by this as these drosera never seem real hardy to me. I also
have some rotundifolia seedlings springing up from last year's flowers-
which reminded me to take the seeds I'd collected out of the fridge.
Hope six months of cold wasn't too much stratification!

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul V. McCullough