Re: Drosera scorpioides cultivation

From: Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 29 1998 - 18:23:52 PDT

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 01:23:52 +0000
From: Peter Cole <carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera scorpioides cultivation

Brian Evans <B.M.Evans@exeter.ac.uk> writes:

>Can anyone give me some advice about a couple of problems, please?
>The first one is about Drosera scorpioides. I have tried growing
>them several times but they always fade away slowly during the
>summer, or die suddenly during the winter. They are kept with many
>other Drosera species which thrive in the same conditions. Minimum
>winter temperature is around 40 Fahrenheit, summer maximum about 110
>F. They

        Way too hot I'd say! Not many plants are going to tolerate 110F
        for long, and I don't think D.s is one of them. Winter temp seems
        OK, but I do find they're prone to mould, and I often lose a lot of
        them. But they make plenty of gemmae, so the colony never dies out.
         It's a shame I can't keep them going for many years, as they
        certainly look beautiful when they've got really woody with age.

>stand in shallow water during the summer, and I have tried both wet
>and almost dry storage in the winter. The growing medium is the
>original one from the supplier(s). Can anyone suggest why they

        I find peat:sand fine for them, but perhaps a much sandier mix would
        be better in the winter - I haven't tried.

>don\222t survive?
>
>The second problem is identification of a Drosera grown from seed
>collected by a friend in South Africa.
> It is an upright plant, about 4cm high after one season. The leaves
> are very similar to D. Capensis
>but grow at random up the stem. It seems to need high temperature
>and humidity, at least to germinate. The parent plant was apparently
>growing in sandy soil on a mountain side. Which species could this
>be?

        Most likely D.cistiflora, or similar (zeheri, pauciflora?, alba?)
        When you say "high temperature" I do worry about the 110F you quote
        above, but hey - if you're keeping it alive, then you're doing
        better than me :-)

        Happy growing,

                        Peter

+++ Peter Cole, 17 Wimmerfield Cr.,Killay,SWANSEA SA27BU,WALES,UK +++
mailto:carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk - http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/
++++ Carnivorous Plants, seeds and tissue culture kits for sale ++++