Re: Celsius X Farenheit

From: ss66428 (ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Tue Apr 21 1998 - 02:59:38 PDT

Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:59:38 +0900
From: ss66428 <ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Celsius X Farenheit

To Adrian and others,

>Unfortunately, for some strange reason, in the Fahrenheit scale, water
>boils at 212degrees but at 100degrees Celsius and freezes at 32degrees F
>and 0degrees C so there is effectively a 32degree 'offset' on the
>Fahrenheit scale.

        As far as I know, the difference mentioned above exists only because
the Celsius scale was based on FRESH water while the Farenheit on SALT water.
The latter freezes at lower temperatures and boils at higher temperatures
because of all the dissolved salts it contains. Now why would anyone choose
salt water instead of fresh water is the mystery for me........

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan