Re: Nep. enviroment

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 08:02:29 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:02:29 -0600
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep. enviroment

Peter Mui <pmui@asan.com> writes:

> (1) What is the average temperature and relative humidity in your
>growing areas (Tanks, greenhouse,tables)

In winter, my daytime temp is about 80F and night temp is about 65F.
In summer, daytime gets as high as 95F and night temp is about 70F.
I am growing predominantly "lowland" Nepenthes.

>(2)What method(s) do you use to keep the humidity high enough
>for your Neps.

I have a Holmes humidifier hooked up to a humidistat which keeps
the humidity in the 70-90 % range.

>The reason why I ask this is bacause my relative
>humidity around 40% @ a temp. of 71 deg.F. I think the humidity is
kind
>of low.
>Some of the pitchers on my Neps. are drying up and turning brown.

It is normal for older pitchers to turn brown, however, 40% does seem
a bit low and I have noticed my plants tend to support fewer pitchers
when,
in the past, my humidity has not been kept high.

Richard Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/