another late reply

From: Kevin Snively (ksnive@premier1.net)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 21:06:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 21:06:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kevin Snively <ksnive@premier1.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: another late reply

>Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:12:52 -0800
>From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
>Subject: White flowered Drosera capensis
>
>I can help you with the following other plants:
>
>> D. capensis "Crestate" ("Cristate"?)
>
>These two plants are both D. capensis. The crestate plant was shown
>in several photographs of Carnivorous Plant Newsletter over the
>years. The apical meristem was apparently teratological, i.e.
>malformed, perhaps by some virus or other pathology. It made
>weird clumping plants. This sometimes appeared in the roots, if I
>remember correctly.
>
>Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
>Carnivorous Plant Newsletter

One way to cause "Crestate" malformation is to apply massive overdose
of ( I hate to bring this product up here. ) superthrive over a period
of months. In about 1993/94 I was useing about 1 T.B. syringe of
superthrive diluted in about 1 U.S. Quart of water with a trace of
Miracid plant food as a foliar spray 3 to 4 times daily. It caused
"Crestate" deformity in Drosera, Pinguicula and Byblis. In Drosera
the deformity affected roots and flower stalks mostly, in Pinguicula
and Byblis the crowns of the plants. Randy Lamb took pictures of the
Byblis. If I find the coppies he sent me, I will scan coppies for you.
Once use of superthrive was discontinued the deformity slowly went
away in my collection. I'm no longer sure if this is because the
affected plants finaly died or they revirted to normal growth. The
trait was not carried forward in the seed.

krs