(no subject)

From: Dennis Wilson (dennis@guymon.tebtc.com)
Date: Mon Apr 13 1998 - 20:39:41 PDT

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:39:41 -0700
From: Dennis Wilson <dennis@guymon.tebtc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: (no subject)

Jose,

Sorry to post this here but I figured someone else may be having trouble
with lights on a terrarium.

You don't have to use energy saving flourescent lights. I do not
reccomend using incandescent bulbs though. They give off a tremendous
amount of heat and are not as efficient as flourescent lights.

The bulbs you descibe a U-shaped are probably flourescent lights. These
kind of bulbs are available in the US. In the base of these bulbs is
the ballast. These bulbs will put out more light than a much larger
incandescent bulb.

In your calculation Power=Volts X Amps
So power is proportional to voltage

Power in a 15 watt bulb will be the same no matter what the voltage is.

With your 220 volts the amp draw of the bulb is about 0.07 amps
With USA 110 volts the amp draw is about 0.14 amps

On my terrarium I used 4 40 watt cool white bulbs (these are
available).
My VFT seedlings seem to enjoy the amount and color of the light.
Also the shoplight fixtures that Dr. Meyers-Rice recomends work very
good.

Well I hope I haven't confused you or anyone else,

Dennis