Re: Drosera regia forms & how to grow it

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 10 1998 - 15:37:50 PDT

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:37:50 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera regia forms & how to grow it

Dear Wim,

>I have grown D. regia a few times. They grew well and even flowered
>during two years, but died in the third. I have not been successful in
>propagating it so I don't have a single plant left.
>
>They grew in a 3 : 1 : 1 peat : sand : perlite mixture. During Summer
>the pot stood in 1 cm of water in a south facing window, during winter
>it stayed at the same window but it was kept moist (that plant died, so
>I kept my second plant in 1 cm water during winter, that one died too).
>Any better ideas of how to grow it ?

In my experience never give up on a D. regia that has apparently died.
They are tempermental plants at the best of times and can dissapear for
no reason. They do however have large thick fleshy roots and the plant
can regenerate from these. I had one plant which I assumed had died on
me early one winter but eventually reappeared the follwing summer after
about six months. I wasn't so much of an optimist then but had simply
forgotten that the pot was there!

You should also give these plant as large a pot as possible. They
produce few roots but the ones they do make are large and need plenty of
space. I keep my plants in a 12.5cm (5") sqaure pot. Note that the
square pots have a larger volume of soil than the equivalent size of
round pot so if you use these you need to increase the size accordingly.

Regards,

--
Phil Wilson