Re: Protozoa-chomping CPs

From: R C Jenkins (R.C.Jenkins@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 10 1998 - 01:46:17 PDT

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:46:17 +0100
From: R C Jenkins <R.C.Jenkins@sheffield.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Protozoa-chomping CPs

I also wonder why I subscribe to Nature - perhaps it was for the free
laser pointer? I've also looked in my books and in Juniper et al "The
Carnivorous Plants" there is discussion of the relationships between
utricularia and protozoa.
Basically it is stated that "most protozoa captured by species of
utricularia are digested" (1) and most captured paramecia are killed
within 75 minutes although other species survive and actually reproduce
inside the traps (2). I don't have these papers but it does suggest that
the claim in Nature that Genlisea is the _first_ protozoa trapping
CP is an exageration. Perhaps Dr Joel (co-author of the above book), whom
I think reads the digest, could comment?

> > I would have thought that many of the bladderworts could routinely
> > trap protozoa. Is this: A. Untrue B. Perhaps true but never
> > confirmed C. True but unknown to the authors of this paper D. None
> > of the above

I guess C is correct!

Richard

1. Sorenson,D.R. and Jackson,W.T. 1968. The utilisation of paramecia
by the carnivorous plant Utricularia gibba. Planta 83, 166-170.

2. Hegner,R.W. 1926. The interrelationships of protozoa and the
utricles of utricularia. Biological Bulletin 50, 239-270.