Re: blue nepenthes

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 09 1998 - 13:57:17 PDT

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 16:57:17 -0400
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: blue nepenthes

>OK, so I fell for it!
>In my defense, I guess I let my WANTING to believe such a plant could exist
>override reality. Couldn't a single mutant somehow go blue like that, then
>be bred for blue nepenthes offspring?

The blue Nep., as described, was a male plant. Once it had fertilized a
female Nep., the blue swelling and colouration would quickly reside. In
this particular type of Nepenthes, the condition only occurs upon this date.

This condition can be found in primates, also. Especially teenage males. It
is transitory and not transmutable.

HTH

Kind Regards,

Rand