H. ionasi Maguire - 51cm pitchers?

From: TheEdge (TheEdge@amdyne.net)
Date: Tue Mar 31 1998 - 15:32:21 PST

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:32:21 -0000
From: "TheEdge" <TheEdge@amdyne.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: H. ionasi Maguire - 51cm pitchers?

     I was wondering if the claims in "Carnivorous Plants of the World" by
J. and P. Pietropaolo that Heliamphora ionasi Maguire pitchers can reach
51cm in length are exaggerated. I have never had a Heliamphora, but from
the sketch in the book (page 69) it does not seem possible that Heliamphora
pitchers could reach such lengths and remain upright, especially if filled
with rainwater, which they must be since it says in the book that their
native Guayana Highlands have annual rainfall often exceeding 254cm.
Anybody out there ever grown a Heliamphora anywhere near that size?
     Also, much thanks to Charles Brewer and Perry Malouf for responding to
my postings.

TheEdge@amdyne.net