D. capensis Feeding

From: CMcdon0923 (CMcdon0923@aol.com)
Date: Fri Mar 27 1998 - 19:48:22 PST

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 22:48:22 EST
From: CMcdon0923 <CMcdon0923@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. capensis Feeding

I have a question about the results of D. capensis catching prey. I have a
very healthy plant, actually a clump of three or more stalks in the same pot,
roughly 6 inches (15cm) tall, and just as wide. All leaves are covered with
glistening drops of mucilage, with many new leaves forming.

A few days ago, I stunned an average sized mosquito. ( I make this point,
because it wasn't one of the all-too-common '...carry off a dog or small
child' sized Texas mosquitos.) I placed the stunned little bugger on one of
the healthiest looking leaves. Upon checking a few hours later, the leaf had
curled up to completely surround the insect. However, today I noticed that
the entire curled-up leaf is covered by a white fuzzy mold, after just four
(maye five, I don't remember exactly) days.

Is it normal for a leaf to develop this "condition" after trapping something?
The plant is in a terrarium, so perhaps the humidity (~70%) and temperature
(~60F to 75F) played a part. I just find it difficult to imagine the plants
losing the successful leaf after each meal, especially in the wild. This IS
one of the larger meals it has ever trapped, usually it dines on your typical
gnat-sized prey. Perhaps this 'skeeter was just a little too much?

Craig McDonald
Frisco, Texas