Counting dionaea leaves

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Sat Mar 21 1998 - 11:16:13 PST

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 14:16:13 -0500
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Counting dionaea leaves

Hi,
I was leafing through Gordon Cheers' book last night (I forget the title;
my paperback edition has a nice picture of some S. leucophylla hybrids on
the front). I read something that I hadn't noticed before. He states that
VFTs have six leaves/traps at a time so if you see one with twelve, that's a
sign that you can safely divide it into two plants. My experience with
dividing these plants is minimal and I work more from intuition than
leaf-counting. Can some more experienced growers offer their opinions on how
accurate this "rule" is?

Thanks
Phil