Re: VFT seedlings

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 18:52:36 PST

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:52:36 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT seedlings

Dave Evans wrote in CP digest 1388:

   I have noticed cv. 'Red Dragon' isn't quite as robust as some other
red clones of VFT. It has the most red of any of these red clones
though! So far, I've haven't had much luck growing any VFT from seed,
and every year I loose lots of inbred and cross-bred seedlings. Could
someone describe how they raise VFT seedlings w/o using TC.

The Akai Ryu form that I grow produces large traps but the petioles tend to
droop down on the pot sides. Although the different red forms do have a
character of their own I still prefer the good old regular form that
develops "beet red" traps in strong light.

I usually sow all my VFT seed on a product called "no damp-off" from Mosser
Lee. It is just milled sphagnum. I tend to keep the pots JUST moist but in a
highly humid atmosphere (tank under lights). After the seedlings have
developed 3 or 4 tiny traps I transfer them to pots containing finely
chopped live sphagnum. To date I haven't lost one to damp-off!

On another note, is there anyone on the list who has successfully raised
Byblis gigantea from seed? I'm past the gib acid soaking part and have sown
them onto milled sphagnum under lights. What medium should I transfer them
to after the seedling phase? I really have no prior experience to go on and
would appreciate any responses!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@crscms.com