More of the Same: Drosera capensis

From: ROBERT FITZMAURICE (rof7@aber.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 15 1998 - 06:39:38 PST

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:39:38 +0000
From: ROBERT  FITZMAURICE <rof7@aber.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: More of the Same: Drosera capensis

Thanks to Stefan and Barry for the information regarding Drosera capensis
cvs. I'll be delving further into the midst of information about D. capensis.

Love it and/or hate it, we all know this plant as a "weed", due to its
astounding ability to self seed in the most unexpected of places - But has
anybody on this list tried to cross pollinate one clone of D. capensis with
another? I know that there are interspecific hybrids of D. capensis x D.
rotundifolia (God knows what this plant looks like! (But I bet it's rather
attractive)). However, it would be interesting to see what a D. capensis x
D. capensis "Alba" hybrid would be like. If the resultant offspring turned
out to be pink(ish) in overall colour - then this _may_ show which
phenotype is the strongest, i.e. the proportion of red:white:(pink) plants
derived from this cross. I would hazard a guess and say that the normal or
"Red" clone should be dominant, but if any differences are noted, then this
would lead to some interesting conclusions...
As soon as my plants flower, I'll be busy trying this out.

Thanks also to Stuart for the bitmap. I'll be DIYing this system in about
two weeks time.

Keep on growing!

Rob.