Re: N. vent./burkei --> N. petiolata and N. alata x truncata

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 11:54:56 PST

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:54:56 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. vent./burkei --> N. petiolata and N. alata x truncata

Dave and others following this thread:

Rich Ellis writes:
>> I too am confused by N. petiolata. According to Jebb and
>>Cheek's key, the peristome ribs of N. petiolata are "prominent,
>>higher than 1 mm, with
>> teeth extended internally to 3 mm". This makes me think that the
>> pictures I have seen labelled N. petiolata probably are alata.

Dave Evans replies:
>I have one! It is *not* the same species as the one I received labled
>as N.alata-with a doubt. The leaves on the N.petiolata have
>very pronounced petioles, the only other species coming close
>is N.truncata. It also has a hairy, tendril (the hairs are thick and
dark),
>truncate leaves and looks rather
>like what I expect from an F1 hybrid between N.truncata and N.alata.
>Oh, this one has three very prominent nerves, I can see them from
>across the room as the light strikes the unfurling leaves.

Does it have the prominent teeth on the peristome?

> Which brings me to another question, Jan. I can't recall the issue
>or Vol. , but there is an article about John DeKennel
>(sp?) and Long Wood Gardens. In the article there are photos showing
>N. truncata, N.villosa, N.truncata * N.alata, and some others. However,
>I do not see any N.truncata in the supposed hybrid and it looks more
>like all the other photos of N.alata I have seen than even my plants
>of N.alata! Is that really N.truncata * N.alata???

Wow! I'm glad you brought that up because I have had the same
thought / question. CPN vol 21 no 4 p 103 right? As near as I can
tell, this plant is the spitting image of a plant I grow labelled N.
alata
which I got from Botanique originally. This makes me wonder if my
plant is actually a hybrid, the plant pictured is mislabelled or
N. truncata is packed full of recessive genes !!

Richard Ellis "ricell@juno.com"
Boulder, CO