Drosera capensis cvs.

From: ROBERT FITZMAURICE (rof7@aber.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 06:42:34 PST

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:42:34 +0000
From: ROBERT  FITZMAURICE <rof7@aber.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera capensis cvs.

Barry Meyers-Rice wrote:

>Does anyone here happen to know who first introduced the Drosera capensis
>forms grown as 'narrow-leaf,' 'wide-leaf,' 'red,' and 'white' (or 'alba')
>into cultivation?
>
>These are not cultivar names, but rather just common horticultural terms
>used for the plants...

D. capensis "White" is occasionally listed as D. capensis fma. alba - But I
do not know if this is the correct term. I would think that it was, but I
am certainly not going to commit myself.
I am not saying that this is correct, but Marston Exotics listed D.
capensis "Alba" in their catalogue a few years ago. I remember a statement
in the catalogue saying that this plant was found growing in a batch of
typical D. capensis seedlings on the nursery.
I'm afraid that I cannot help Barry with the remainder of this particular
question, but I would like to elaborate on his query:
The European Plant Finder (the PPP-Index), version 1.0 lists several D.
capensis cultivars. With the exception of the aforementioned, these are:
D. capensis "Crestate" ("Cristate"?)
D. capensis "Giant"
D. capensis "Mutant"

Does anybody know anything about these forms? The names are descriptive,
but what are the main characteristics of these forms?

Oxford Botanic Gardens also has a group of plants named D. capensis
"Merry-go-round", which appears to be a cultivar (or possibly even a
hybrid) of D. capensis.

Any information on D. capensis cultivars/forms would be appreciated.

All the best,

Rob.