Re: N. vent./burkei refried

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 18:53:16 PST

Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:53:16 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. vent./burkei refried

Greetings all,

I don't have any direct personal experience, but to quote from Jebb and
Cheek's Skeletal Revision of Nepenthes.

"Nepenthes burkei is closely related to N. venticosa of Luzon. The
present species can be distinguished by the less stongly waisted,
geen-blotched purple pitchers with lid as large as mouth and with 6 or 7
pairs of nerves. In N. ventricosa the pitchers are more narrowly
waisted, glossy yellowish white, with lids much smaller than the mouth
and with only 3-4 pairs of longitudinal veins in the leaf-blade"

These differences seem rather subtle to me - does anyone know if the
ranges overlap at all?

I too am confused by N. petiolata. According to Jebb and Cheek's key,
the peristome ribs of N. petiolata are "prominent, higher than 1 mm, with
teeth extended internally to 3 mm". This makes me think that the
pictures I have seen labelled N. petiolata probably are alata.

I guess while I'm at it, I'll throw in another question - namely - what
are the issues regarding whether or not N. philippinensis is a species or
a variation of alata? Jebb and Cheek lump it in with alata but don't
give any details.

Richard Ellis "ricell@juno.com"
Boulder, CO