CP's, Peter Pauls, New Plants...

From: Richard Berg (bergrd@valunet.com)
Date: Fri Mar 06 1998 - 19:07:46 PST

Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 03:07:46 GMT
From: bergrd@valunet.com (Richard Berg)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP's, Peter Pauls, New Plants...

 Greetings again list...

  Well it's been about a month or so since I last asked the question
reguarding a choice selection for a second plant. I recieved a ton of
replies on what everyone thought was a good plant to grow since I've
had such good success with my Dionaea's...

  I wanted to report back to the list that I recently purchased some
plants from Peter Pauls in New York... Everything came well packed and
in great shape except for a small D. Capenes which is on it's way to a
comeback... All in all everything was according to my order and really
the only thing bad about the whole experience was the shipping of the
plants... I had called a few days after using their online server and
talked with a gentleman that said they won't ship the plants to early
in the warmer spring to ensure viable plants... I agreed to this and
figuring they wouldn't be here to late March early April I happily
read up on the species I would be getting soon... To my amazement one
Saturday they came... I had asked for the package to be shipped late
week so I could be here to recieve it but it seems they decided to
ship the package anyhow... Luckily my wife was home to accept so the
plants didn't have to sit the day outside in the cold weather
(Ohio)...

  It's now been one week since delivery and the plants are now showing
signs of adjusting to the new enviroment and have started sending up
new leaves... The plants I recieved were:

D. capenes (2)
butterwort (3 unknowns)
S. flava
S. purpurea
S. psittacina
D. californica (2)=20

  This leads me to my next question.. These being my new plants I've
never grown any of the Darlingtonia's or Sarracernia's before and
wanted to know if I should do anything special?... The Darlingtonia's
are starting to send up new leaves (aren't those new fangs cute, all
bright green and all!), and the Sarracenia's are also starting to poke
new leaves up through the soil... I've used a stress agent (Hormex) to
help with the transition and I think this stuff is sooo GREAT!.. I
swear I could root a 200 year old log with this stuff!... All plants
(except D. californica's) are inside large terrarium and stay a near
constant 80-90 degrees with 80-100% humidity at all times.. I haven't
checked the exact # of footcandles but I have two 4 foot shoplights on
top which makes the neighbors think I'm growing pot.. (I'm sure the
DEA is on it's way here now!)...

  Well this is long and I don't want to bore anyone.. Just looking for
helpful hints on the new arrivals and how to care once they've started
to regain their vigor! Kudo's to everyone on the list since this is
now the only list I subscribe to anymore because the rest just aren't
worth it anymore! Tilll next time..............

                                        ... Richard

Richard Berg
Salem, Ohio

<bergrd@valunet.com>