Nep Growers in FL

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 18:11:13 PST

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 21:11:13 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nep Growers in FL

>It's obvious that newly created/discovered clones should be formally
>named by the creator; however, what if that person doesn't do so. Could
>another person undertake the formalities of naming on behalf of the
>creator? I mention this, not only because of people like the Nep growers
>in FL,

Trent here in FL. The Nep growers who has been making these hybrids
since the early 1980's, mainly Bruce Bednar and Clyde Bramblett, named
their hybrids using the methods of their predecessors, people like James
Taplin and Veitch Nurseries. As far as they knew, their was no
registration authority, and in fact, had been told to register their
hybrids by publishing the parents and resultant cultivar groups in the
CPN. Please check your back issues from the late 1980's and early
1990's to verify this fact. Now they are told (by me) that what they
have done is incorrect.

I am currently photographing, in detail, specific cultivars and examples
from cultivar groups, of these many hybrids. They will be re-named to
ICNCP standards, and appropriately described once the proper format is
fully understood. As an example, Splendiana will be renamed Splendid
Diana. Luckily, Bruce has kept notes on all his hybridizing. There is
much work to be done. It will just take time.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, FL