cultivar comments

From: Stefan Ploszak (imduff@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 07:21:49 PST

Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 07:21:49 PST
From: "Stefan Ploszak" <imduff@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: cultivar comments

Sorry for the delay in getting this message out, it got sidetracked for
the last week.

Dear Jan,

>> For example, if I were the first to cross S.leucophylla with
>> S.purpurea, and wanted to formally establish this cross as S.x
>> 'mitchelliana,'
>You can either validate the scientific taxon name S. * mitchelliana
>(which has been done already)

I think I am starting to understand some of the basic principles that
you are describing. I understand that cultivars and cultivar groups must
be formally published(BTW, I'm looking forward to learning the protocol.
I believe you mentioned it a few days ago.) in a well distributed
periodical or book, like the CPN, in order to be recognized. Now, how
can a scientific taxon be validated(using your words). With all the
complex hybrids being created with Nepenthes and Sarracenia, I think
Peter is correct in mentioning a need for naming new taxons which
include these complex crosses.
  It's obvious that newly created/discovered clones should be formally
named by the creator; however, what if that person doesn't do so. Could
another person undertake the formalities of naming on behalf of the
creator? I mention this, not only because of people like the Nep growers
in FL, but also because of the situation being created with Dionaea. In
the last few years many new variants/mutants of Dionaea have become
readily available and nobody has formally named any(except for the 'Aki
Ryu' and 'Royal Red'). It has become a problem as many names for the
same plant have been informally created. As time goes on, and growers
create their own clones, records and genuine plant material will be lost
and the situation may never be resolved.
  I feel enlightened by this whole thread, as it is obvious that the
ICNCP is confusing. Perhaps the lack of understanding of the ICNCP and
the cultivar naming process could explain growers unwillingness to
formally name their plants. I think as co-editor of the CPN and expert
on taxonomy, it is up to you Jan to "walk us through" this process. I
appreciate your patience and willingness to educate us.

Thanks,
Stefan