'Carnivorous Plants of Australia Volume 1' by Allen Lowrie

From: SCT RFCS (SCTRFCS@aol.com)
Date: Sat Feb 28 1998 - 10:55:09 PST

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 13:55:09 EST
From: SCT RFCS <SCTRFCS@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: 'Carnivorous Plants of Australia Volume 1' by Allen Lowrie

After waiting a few days to see if anyone had ever contacted Allen regarding a
reprint of this book I decided to telephone the author myself. I will pass
along some more general information before dealing with the main topic.

Allen is currently proof reading Volume 3 in this series and understands from
University of Western Australia Press that they would like to publish the book
by July of this year. He believes this time line to be a bit optimistic.
Allen also said that he had been 'toying' with the concept of redoing all
three volumes as one composite work.

Those of us who have downloaded Allen Lowrie's recent catalogue will know that
Volume 1 is cited as 'none available worldwide', that is unless you are
prepared to pay $Au 750.00 for the soft cover version(used?) or $Au 1,000 for
the hard cover version from Colin at Triffid Park.

As a side point, Allen lists used Volume 2 editions at a price range of $Au
35.00 to $Au 75.00 dependent upon soft or hard cover/with or without cover
damage. Triffid Park lists Volume 2 at $Au 100.00 hard cover(used?) and the
soft cover version at $Au 75.00(used?).

Returning to the main issue of how to acquire a copy of Volume 1 at a
reasonable price, there may be a few possible alternatives.

        1. The publisher may be willing to provide bound photocopies in a
manner similar to that offered by MIT Press. Personally, I would want
the photographs in color which of course increases the cost.
             The unit cost could logically be reduced by placing a bulk order.

        2. If the publisher is willing to run a standard reprint there should once
             again be a unit cost reduction with a bulk order.

Allen said he would be willing to approach his publisher regarding a reprint
of 'Carnivorous Plants of Australia, Volume 1'. The first printing was
apparently in 1989 with a run of 2,000 copies and were sold at ~$Au38.00@.
Allen feels that the publisher would be much more receptive to the idea of
reprinting if most of the run would be presold. This would also reduce the
final cost as distributors and bookstores would not be involved. There are
other logistics that would have to be addressed such as bulk shipping and the
gathering together of individual book payments. Obviously before any energy
is expended in that direction we first need to know if we have the viable
number of 'customers' to make this work.

Allen and I feel there has to be concrete evidence of a demand for
'Carnivorous Plants of Australia, Volume 1 before approaching the publisher.
I am willing to collect and compile such evidence and pass it on to Allen for
his discussions with the publisher. Even with an optimistic hope for a modest
run of 300 to 500 copies it might be prudent to 'beat the bushes' to a degree
to see if we can increase the numbers by talking to whoever might be
interested.

A limited press run will likely mean limited choice relative to format
variables. It could however, be useful to know our preferences of the
following:

                A. Hard bound
                B. Soft bound
                C. Photocopy(black & white)
                D. Photocopy(color photographs)

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions anyone might have relative to
this proposal.

If you are potentially interested in purchasing one or more copies of
'Carnivorous Plants of Australia, Volume 1' by Allen Lowrie, send me an E-mail
indicating the number of copies and preferred formats.

I will post any new developments to the CPdigest if and when they occur.

Bob Sheppard sctrfcs@aol.com