Sphagnum

From: MR E.C. VAN ZUILEKOM (9623426@rgo.sun.ac.za)
Date: Wed Feb 25 1998 - 23:19:50 PST

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:19:50 +0200
From: "MR E.C. VAN ZUILEKOM" <9623426@rgo.sun.ac.za>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sphagnum

Greetings all,

Erik here from South Africa, I've been hoping to find out who has
found sphagnum producing spores in cultivation. It seems to be
something of a myth here in S.A. being found only(and on rare
occasions) in natural habitat. I personally have only witnessed it
myself on Table Mountain. Pease remember that this could very simply
be the case due to the presence of exactly 0 peat bogs, with sphagnum
only growing in isolated areas of seepage, waterlogged areas on
the sides of streams as well as waterfall areas. The presence of our
"reticual" sphagnum, seemingly from a much varying line of evolution
to the more commonly used sphagnum is also a mystery to me.
The mere fact that our sphagnum tends to dry out completely, in
certain situations and then except for a tiny core of moisture in the
centre of the mounds formed, indicates the variance within the
species.

Any info. concerning sphagnum would be appreciated.
All the best
  Erik
          E-mail: 9623426@rgo.sun.ac.za