Re: John in Phoenix & killing utrics with baking soda -Antwort

From: Wim Leys (Wim.Leys@vlm.be)
Date: Wed Feb 25 1998 - 05:13:40 PST

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:13:40 +0100
From: Wim Leys <Wim.Leys@vlm.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: John in Phoenix & killing utrics with baking soda -Antwort

Stefan Sehnbruch wrote:

> Hi Wim,
>
> I did not read the whole thread, but why do you want to kill U.
> subulata?
> What is so bad about it? And how has it "invaded" your greenhouse?

Dear Stefan,

U. subulata is a _weed_. It produces pretty little yellow flowers, but
it also forms seeds without bothering of going via the flowering stage.
So, in both ways you end up with a lot of seeds.

On the other hand it reproduces real easy vegetatively. When I mix used
soil with a new mixture, there will always be a few particles of U.
subulata in the old soil, so it can grow back in the new pots. Even when
I threw all the old soil away, U. subulata kept coming back, because of
plant material growing somewhere in between the roots of the bigger
CP's. Only thoroughly rinsing the roots helps.

During the growing period, U. subulata doesn't do any harm. I even
like(d) the yellow flowers. But during winter, all the dead flower
stalks, and it produces a lot of them, become infected with Botrytis. I
lost a number of adult Sarracenia's because Botrytis "jumped over" from
infected U. flower stalks to the rhizomes.

I now remove the U. flower stalks each autumn and winter, because as
soon as it heats up for a while, new flower stalks are reproduced, even
during winter, and the infection danger continues.

We had a severe winter last year (1996-1997), and I was hoping to be rid
of U. subulata... But oh no, ..it all grew back, possibly from seeds
that withstood the frost.

Kind regards
Wim