Re: registration of new crosses,

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 18:05:31 PST

Date:          Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:05:31
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: registration of new crosses,

Dear Andrew,

> I have several new crosses, made a few years ago that are now
> reasonably good sized. What do I need to do, and who do I need to write
> to to register these properly.

I assume you wnat to describe individual plants as cultivars (not the
crosses themselves as taxa).

1. Identify the features that distinguish your plants from
others.

2. Write descriptions of each plant you want to name. These
descriptions should be detailed enough to allow judgement if a given
plant belongs to the respective cultivar or not.

3. Make good colour photographs of each plant, showing the
*distinctive* features.

4. Identify the originator/introducer (the person who made the
cross or collected it from the wild), nominant (the person who chose
the name), and registrant (the person who submitted the description)
of the new cultivars and the respective dates (at least the years).
The names of new cultivars must be compatible with the ICNCP.

5. Publish the descriptions in a horticultural journal. This journal
may be CPN but does not necessarily need to be so.

6. Submit the descriptions, pictures, and additional data (cf. ICNCP,
Instructions for IRAs) to CPN (and only CPN) for registration.

Kind regards
Jan