CP of Australia Vol 1

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Sat Feb 21 1998 - 17:21:09 PST

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:21:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP of Australia Vol 1

Tom said:

> So if Allen can collect used copies and sell them for several hundred a
> pop, he may be making more money than he would at a 10% royalty on a
> re-release.

I just bought my copy of Vol 2 directly from Allen and he didn't sell it
for a whole lot more than I got it from Amazon.com. I'd be surprised if
even Allen could find copies of Vol 1 for anything even vaguely considered
"reasonable" to even think about turning it around for a lot of profit.
And at least according to his price list, he doesn't have _any_ copies of
Vol 1 left. I'd go out on a limb and guess that he'd like to see another
print run, since it is, after all, his book and I would guess an author
would like to see more people buy his book if he thinks anything of the
work he put into it.

> On top of that, how many potential purchasers of CP books already have
> Allen's book? Are there 1000 people in CP who do not have the book?

It sure seems like it. :)

I would certainly be willing to pay more than the cover price for a
reprint. If they wanted to run off 500 and sell them for double, I'd
probably still buy it. I'd even consider buying 100 if I could afford it
and hold onto them until they're worth 10 times the cover price again. :)

> And a last potential issue, publishers want a fast sell of a press run,
> they do not want to store copies, it's too expensive.

It would be interesting to see how many copies of Taylor's book got
reprinted, when, how many and how many have been sold since the reprint.
Anyone know someone at Kew Publications?

Derek Glidden http://www.illusionary.com
Illusionary.com Home of the Pagan Resource Site
   Web development, database, graphics and general plumbing
Linux, FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP (Say No to NT!)