National Geographic back issues.

From: Michael Fleck (mfleck@direct.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 18:17:01 PST

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 18:17:01 -0800
From: Michael Fleck <mfleck@direct.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: National Geographic back issues.

>I recently purchased this magazine for $1 while rummaging through
>antique stores on Magazine St. in New Orleans. Besides talking about
the
>upcoming first orbital trip of Project Mercury (John Glenn had
>apparently not yet been selected for the flight), this issue contains
an
>interesting article by Paul A. Zahl on "Plants That Eat Insects."
>The 17 page article has a number of good photos of cps, including some
>in habitat.
>It's worth looking for this if you are in a store that carries back
>issues of this magazine.

>Jack

I agree, an excellent article. Although, as many of us know, very
difficult to find. Also great NG articles are:
"Malaysia's Giant Flowers and Insect-trapping Plants" (May 1964)
and
"In the Wilds of a City Parlor" (Nov 1954)
Both by Paul A. Zahl and no longer in print or widely available.
A nice way to get these 3 issues (and 1293 others) is to by them
on CD-Rom. Thats right, 108 years worth of National Geographic
Magazine on 30 CD's. Its available from NG at :

http://ngsstore.nationalgeographic.com/store/geo/SCIENCE/LEVEL3/bud/83201C.html

At $ 179.00 USD it's not cheap but in relation to $ 200 for Lowrie's
CP of Oz vol. 1, it's quite reasonable. Not only 3 articles on CP's
but 108 years worth of excellent artilces on anything you can imagine.
1888 to 1996, every page, photo and even ads. All indexed for easy
access. If you stacked them all on each other they would stand almost
500 feet high.
No, I don't work for NG or get a percentage, I just think this is a
wonderful resource. Especially if you have childeren or are a student.
I have every issue from Feb 1967 to present and it takes up 12 feet
of shelf. CD is a much more "apartment friendly" way of storing back
issues.
Maybe the price will come down in time or when it comes out on
DVD (oh joy, another hardware upgrade)

Regards,

Mike