Re: Re: Carnivorous Plants of Australia, Vol. 1

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 15:38:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 20 Feb 98 18:38 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Carnivorous Plants of Australia, Vol. 1

> Small press runs are not unusual for academic books, they do not
> generally occur in the popular (commercial) press. Small press runs
> for academics may be 1000 copies. However, in these runs royalties
> are about 10-15% and there are no up front funds to the author. So,
> if Allen can collect used copies and sell them for several hundred a
> pop, he may be making more money than he would at a 10% royalty on a
> re-release. On top of that, how many potential purchasers of CP books
> already have Allen's book? Are there 1000 people in CP who do not
> have the book? And a last potential issue, publishers want a fast
> sell of a press run, they do not want to store copies, it's too
> expensive.

   Well, I'd like to know how to order this book. However, Allen can
keep it if it's more than cover price for used copy. Now, how can I
obtain the information in this book at a reasonble price? I'll gladly
pay for the royality on a decent copy, but why would a collectors' fee
be imposed on *used* copies? Does Allen sell photostatic copies?
Please don't go into all that stuff about royalities again, I understand
and am perfectly willing to pay for them. It's not as though anyone
makes royalities from the selling of used books anyway.

Dave Evans