VFT cloning

From: B.Kwan@sci.monash.edu.au
Date: Thu Feb 19 1998 - 17:39:34 PST

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:39:34 +1000
From: B.Kwan@sci.monash.edu.au
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT cloning

I prefer to use the flower stalk for tissue culturing VFTs as it is
cleaner. Chop it into the largest pieces that will fit in the
sterilizing solution. I prefer to use Ca(OCl)2 pool chlorine at
10g/100ml with some detergent, as VFTs react badly to bleach NaOCl. I
leave this shaking for 30-40 minutes then chop them up into inch long
pieces and put them on 1/2MS with fairly high auxin content. VFT leaves
are hard to clean and there are usually lots of unwanted flower stalks
available.

Regards Brian