Re:cv registration

From: Larry Mellichamp (tlmellic@unccvm.uncc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 19:45:25 PST

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:45:25 -0600
From: Larry Mellichamp <tlmellic@unccvm.uncc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:cv registration

     Perhap's it would benefit the CP community if a guide-line
> for naming species and cultivars as an article or supplament was
> included in CPN.

In CPN Vol. 16, June 1987, page 37, [good reason to acquire back issues!!!]
was published guidelines for publication and registration of cultivars. In
that issue I (and Rob Gardner) registered5 new cultivars of Sarracenia,
perhaps the first Sarracenia cultivars to be registered. Those write-ups
could serve as guidelines. Various cultivars of CP's were registered in
subsequent issues of CPN.

One of the problems with all the hybrids and cultivars in Nepenthes is that
cultivars names were never registered, and so no=one really knows what some
of them are; and of course many are errors, whre the grower may have
misidentified the parents, or mis-identified the hybrids, and then various
names have gotten out into the "trade."

I am working on acquiring a copy of the latest code of cultivated plants to
see what rules have changed (if any) since 1969, and will prepare something
for CPN in the near future. I believe I am also to register some new
cultivars in the June issue.

My goal is NOT to release any cultivars that have not been registered. That
should be everyone's goal. Unfortunately, a few cv's are already out
(Dixie Lace and Ladies-in-waiting), but my goal was to register them very
soon anyway. There are very firm rules about regiatering, and CPN is (or
officially will be) the official registration authority (place of
registration) for all CP's worldwide.

By the way, in response to other comments on green plants, I have a
Sarracenia purpurea venosa - normal red pitchers but with pure yellow
flowers!!! That is at least unusual, and perhap the first one found in the
wild. I am growing selfed seeds now to see how they come true.
Larry Mellichamp
Biology Dept.
UNC Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223