What does D. lusitanicum like?

From: Antonio Peixoto (antonio.peixoto@ipatimup.pt)
Date: Sun Apr 12 1998 - 06:39:32 PDT

Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 13:39:32 +0000
From: Antonio Peixoto <antonio.peixoto@ipatimup.pt>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: What does D. lusitanicum like?

        HI members of THEE list,

        First of all I would like to thanks the reception of the list
members, especially David Mellard and Andre Marcelo.

        Now to answer David Mellard's question about the habitat of the D.
lusitanicum.
        Since I live in the contry where they grow naturally, I never came
across any problems in growing D. lusitanicum but for someone who doesn't
live here in Portugal it may be a little dificult. The reason that I think
so is that this CP is not like any other CP's I've ever seen,in terms of
habitat.
        This CP grows in a hill with almost no vegetation to protect them,
the soil is hard, full of rocks and a little bit "yellow" (sorry for the
expression but I can't find the correct word in English), sorry but I know
the pH of the soil.
        About the temperature and rain, as far as I can tell this CP must
be a tough one, because it gets heavy rain and cold in Winter and Fall, and
in the Summer it gets a lot of hot and the soil becomes very dry that time
of the year.

        BUT my experience in growing them tells me that you must be careful
with the cold especially whem they are sedlings and you may only water
them twice a week. After that and when you have the grown plant you don't
need to feed them because I can tell you that the leaves on this CP will
capture aything that comes by.

                                I hope this will help in any way
                                                TOZE