re: Nepenthes mirabilis var. echinostoma

From: Borneo Exotics (borneo@lanka.net)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 00:37:23 PST

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:37:23 +0500
From: Borneo Exotics <borneo@lanka.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Nepenthes mirabilis var. echinostoma

Zachary wrote: ....

It seems that all the photographs I see of Nepenthes mirablis var.
echinostoma are of the upper pitchers--showing the wide peristome.
Do the lower pitcher have a distinctly wide peristome as well?

Yes they do, but not to the same extent as the uppers. All the mirabilis
var. echinostoma that I ahve observed in the wild only seems to produce
lower pitchers whilst quite juvenile and start to climb early in life. The
peristome on lower pitchers is much wider than on the more common mirablis
forms, but lacks the upraised ribs that (I presume) gives rise the the name
'echinostoma'.

I have some photographs around here somewhere which I will dig out and put
on the website www.borneoexotics.com

Rob