Nepenthes Stuff

From: Capestany (dr.cap@erols.com)
Date: Wed Feb 11 1998 - 19:43:39 PST

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 19:43:39 -0800
From: "Capestany" <dr.cap@erols.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes Stuff

Okay... I have held back all my questions about Nepenthes long enough
thinking that I might find out on my own in books or from this listserve,
but so far they have not been asked or answered, so here it goes...

1. Is there really a need to separate highland and lowland species because
of temperature? Couldn't they all just grow together in the same terrarium
with a "medium" temperature?

2. Is there any big difference in the type of soil needed between
highlanders and lowlanders? Is an "all live sphagnum with a bit of charcoal
and perlite" mixture okay for Neps? Which soil mix can go the longest
without going bad?

3. To support my Nepenthes as they get taller I was thinking of adding some
kind of branch or something natural that would add a nice touch to my
terrarium. Is the "driftwood" sold at pet shops for aquariums O.K. for my
Neps? Can I just go to the forest and cut off any old branch and stick it in
my terrarium, or is there a special process that it has to go through to
prevent it from rotting or releasing bad chemicals into the soil?

4. Does the legendary "Superthrive" really exist? I have gone from
Wal-Marts to super-specialized nurseries asking about it but no one
knows what it is!!! Is there any place in Virginia that sells it?

Thanks a bunch for any helpful answers!

-dr.cap
Alexandria, Virginia
USA