stryo -v- perlite

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 10:06:39 PST

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 10:06:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: stryo -v- perlite

Hi folks,
        In reference to the question of which would be better for
Nepenthes, styrofoam pellets or perlite, I would go with perlite. While
both materials are light, and help loosen up tight soils, perlite holds
water while styro does not. This helps me in making it so that I do not
have to water as frequently. In winter I can get away with watering once
or twice a week, in a heated greenhouse. In summer though I water daily,
but not to keep the soil moist as much as to keep the humidity high.
The use of perlite will provide reservoirs for the roots of the Nepenthes,
and other plants of course, to utilize in between waterings. This way,
you need not worry quite so much about overwatering the Nepenthes.
        Echoing Perry's reccomendation, if you chose to use styrofoam, use
ONLY white stryofoam, all others are quite toxic to plants.
        Good growing folks!
        Andrew

ps. I am not the same Andrew who was posting with the seed
list yesterday, or the one listed as help to the fellow that annoyed folks
recently with a rather heated posting and the list of cheap and quite
rare Nepenthes.