Pings and VFTs

From: Marco Lichtenberger (MLICHTEN@urz-mail.urz.uni-heidelberg.de)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date:          Tue, 10 Feb 1998 10:36:48 MET-1MEST
From: "Marco Lichtenberger" <MLICHTEN@urz-mail.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Pings and VFTs

Hi.

>To whomever it was that posted a day or two about their Pings
>"floating"
>above the soil: my P.esseriana have been doing this, also. I have a
>few
>other Pings that have been doing just fine, but my P.esseriana are up
>on
>"stilts" of their roots, shoving the plant a 1/2cm or so above the
>soil.

Happend some years ago to some of my pings too. But they are all
quiet doing fine. Maybe it is "normal" and a way for the plants to
get around through wind and water.

>Does anyone have suggestions as to why a Venus Fly-Trap plant would
>start to
>have very wide leaves with very small traps? Some of the traps are only an
>eigth of an inch long and appear to be malformed.

I had the same results with some plants i tried to cultivate without
any domancy, which means relatively high temperatures and low light
(maybe 8 hours a day).
I've only used rainwater and i haven't changed the soil, so i don't
think fertilizer was the problem in my case.
The mentioned plants startet to grow normal in the next spring.

Marco.