Re: Perlite v Polystyrene

From: TheEdge (TheEdge@amdyne.net)
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 14:49:44 PST

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 22:49:44 -0000
From: "TheEdge" <TheEdge@amdyne.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  Perlite v Polystyrene

>I'm looking at using either perlite or polystyrene balls in my
>nepenthes mix, and I was wondering if there are any differences between
>them from the plant growth point of view. Is one to be prefered over the
>other, and if so, why etc etc ?????
>

> mikeg

Dear Mikeg,
     I would recommend using perlite. Here is why:

-Polystyrene, if what you speak of is what I am thinking of, does not absorb
water. Moreover, it will float, and be a messy, ineffective soil-additive.
Perlite will not float and can absorb water. I am considering using a form
of perlite which is available that comes in larger pieces I think around
.5"-1" each piece.
-Polystyrene can have a tendency to often be toxic. From a posting I read
on the list a few weeks ago (I apologize to the author for not recalling
their name) somebody had colored polystyrene figure-eights (I believe
coloring may not be the only source of toxicity, by the way) in the bottom
of a pot for drainage, and the Nepenthes' roots grew through them and
subsequently the plant grew less and less healthy. Obviously small
polystyrene balls are a smaller target for roots, but nevertheless toxicity
from this risk in addition to any other nasties shed by the polystyrene make
it inferior to perlite.
-Don't encourage those polluting polystyrene companies by investing in their
products in this case when there are much better alternatives!

I hope I was of some help.

Matt - TheEdge@amdyne.net