Intro; Nepenthes Food

From: MOveson@faegre.com
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 15:41:06 PST

Date:       9 Feb 98 17:41:06 CST
From: MOveson@faegre.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:    Intro; Nepenthes Food

Hello CP List People,

I subscribed to the list a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying
the messages--at least, the few messages that are basic enough for me to
understand. I have been growing orchids for a couple of years and have
started growing some CPs as companion plants. I have some species of
Pinguicula (a fast-growing, warm-tolerant species with great 3/4" purple
flowers), a baby Drosera (again, I don't know the species), a little
VFT, and (by far my favorite) a 3-foot-tall Nepenthes, which I believe
is N. Ventrata. I grow everything under flourescent lights--the Pings
under standard 4-foot 40-watt lights, the others under VHO flourescents
(4 bulbs, 160 watts each).

My Nepenthes had some pitchers on it when I received the plant, but
alas, all of them were brown and dead, perhaps because they got too cold
in shipment. But the thing has grown like a weed, putting out
approximately one new leaf per month. After cultivating this plant for
about 4 months, I finally have my first mature, open pitcher, about 5
inches tall, ready to be fed.

Question: What does this plant eat? Is it picky? I have a bit of a
gnat population in my growing area, but the Pings have eaten most of
those. Bugs are relatively scarce in Colorado this time of year, though
worms are available. Will it eat worms? Or should I go to the pet
store and buy it crickets or some other fare? Is there a good rule of
thumb, i.e., "if it fits in the pitcher, put it in," or should I start
with very small bugs? Also, I have a small population of ladybugs in my
growing area. Are they doomed?

Finally, could someone please explain to me this business about "lower
pitchers" and "upper pitchers"? What purpose do the different pitchers
serve?
 Do they differ on N. Ventrata? How do I know which I have? As I said,
 the
mature pitcher is about 5 inches tall, perhaps 1.5 inches around near
the bottom, narrowing at the neck to about 1 inch and then widening at
the mouth to about 1.25 inches. It is green, faintly tinged with red.

Mark Oveson
Faegre & Benson LLP; Denver, Colorado
Phone: (303) 820-0681; Fax: (303) 820-0600
moveson@faegre.com