Re: CP Verification

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 21:26:13 PST

Date:          Mon, 9 Feb 1998 21:26:13
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: CP Verification

Dear Randy,

> Some Drosera seeds came from the seed bank with the name PLANEHORN written
> on it. The plants grew up to be larger than the South African sundew.

Larger than which S Af species?

> Also a German Drosera UUGANOUS (?spelling like the tennis pro. with two
> U's) looks like the Capensis but Winter in middle Florida doesn't set it
> back.

Does it have a winter bud (hibernaculum)?

> Jan I just want to know if these are resgister names.

Both names do not tell me much. The ICPS has not received either name
for registration yet.

The names that are acceptable for _Drosera_ are ' California Sunset '
(the only established epithet so far), Caprice, Marston Dragon,
Nagamoto, and Watari. "Plains Form", mentioned by Slack, is only
acceptable with reservation because the ICNCP (Art.17.15) precludes
the usage of expressions like "form" or "variety" in cultivar
epithets. Perhaps your "PLANEHORN" is this "Plains Form" of _D.
aliciae_ with some orthographical permutations.

Kind regards
Jan