Re: Cultivating Sphagnum? (I Just CANT do it!)

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 07:01:29 PST

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 10:01:29 -0500
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cultivating Sphagnum? (I Just CANT do it!)

 Sphagnum moss can be a little difficulty to grow sometimes if you don't
 meet
all it's needs, but with a little care it can outgrow almost anything
container. I grow and sell this stuff all the time. I will try and
give you a little advice to get you going in the right direction.
 Sphagnum moss likes a cooler condition, semi sunny condition. I grow
 mine
outside all year long even in winter. Freezing weather doesn't seem to
brother the moss that much as long as you protected it from dryness.
The beat method on how to grow moss is a wet but well drained soil. I
use a peat/sand mix and large high sided containers. I add about 3
inches of peat/sand, them the moss and place the container either under
the greenhouse tables or outside in a semi shaded area. I water daily
and it grows. I try to avoid keeping the moss water logged. If you
grow sphagnum in an aquarium be careful as to much light will cause the
tips to turn brown. If you have to much water in the aquarium, the moss
will sour and die. Moss needs lots of water but to much water will kill
it, especially if it is standing warm water. Again, well drained soil,
cool temps, high humidity, semi shade, daily misting. Hope this helps.
If you need more info, email me privately.
                      Charles