Re: Re: leaves on VFT

From: TheEdge (TheEdge@amdyne.net)
Date: Sun Feb 08 1998 - 11:25:36 PST

Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 19:25:36 -0000
From: "TheEdge" <TheEdge@amdyne.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: leaves on VFT

>Does anyone have suggestions as to why a Venus Fly-Trap plant would start
>have very wide leaves with very small traps? Some of the traps are only an
>eigth of an inch long and appear to be malformed.
>JAnge22821

     What media did you plant the VFTs in? My studies/experiments on Dionea
show abnormal leaf characteristics when VFTs are fertilized; this is
consistent with the small traps that you describe. The wide leaves may also
be a result of fertilization. I have had Dionea with wide, jagged leaves,
but these were fertilized the same as others that did not have the abnormal
leaves, and now the wide, jagged-leaf VFTs have produced normal leaves for
awhile now.
     If the media you used has decaying matter, fertilizer, or anything that
would provide a significant amount of nutrients to the plant, it could be
causing the leaf abnormalities.
     Related to this is PH, since acidity can affect the amount of certain
nutrients that the plant is able to uptake.
     More on this topic is planned to be available in the near future, as I
am working with experiments in this subject and plan on publishing my
findings.

Matt
 TheEdge@amdyne.net