Re: marking labels

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Fri Feb 06 1998 - 12:58:23 PST

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 15:58:23 -0500
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: marking labels

 I agree with Mellichamp 100%, that pencil tends to do the best job when
labeling a plant. If you are looking for a short time label marker,
almost anything will do, but pencil last the longest. I use a 7mm
mechanical pencil with "HB" or "B" lead. This lead is soft and tends to
show darker then other pencil leads.
 I had problems trying to add so much plant information to each label
 that I
started coding each label and pot with a special code. I use this code
in a journal to describe each plant, it's location, when planted, etc.
For me, this method works the best (now, where did I leave that there
journal at). Yes, This info is also going into the computer as well.
 The reason I add the same code to the pot as I do the label is because
recently moved to another house and during my move, I lost some real
important labels off of a bunch of two year old seedling. All pots were
the same and all plants were of the same specie. I still have the
seedlings, but the plant information is gone. I knew then this would
never happen again to me.
 I hope this helps a few folks.
                    Charles Brewer

  BUT, plain old No. 2 pencil written
on a vinyl label (not polystyrene) or metal (zinc-plated types) will last
     forever (or 20 years, I