Re:Nepenthes ampullaria concerns

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Feb 03 1998 - 17:23:25 PST

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 20:23:25 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nepenthes ampullaria concerns

Peter,

In addition to Dave Evans comments; here in Florida, in my "greenhouse"
, winter temps get up to 85 degrees F during sunny days, but may be down
to 58-64 degrees F the same night. Once temps drop below 55, I turn on
the heat. Humidity will vary, dropping as low as 55% during the few
warmest hours, but as soon as temps drop it may soar back up to around
70-80%. My ampullarias, from tiny tissue cultured babies to medium
sized plants, all seem to like this. I get big, colorful pitchers.
However, they do slow down to a painstaking pace. They are never fast
growers, even in the summer. I believe the shorter days of winter is
the main culprit for the slowdown of growth.

I notice you are using artificial light. A "typical shoplight ", if I
understand you correctly, probably does not radiate the proper spectrum
for plant growth. I'm not experienced in the area of artificial light
sources, but perhaps you should check into this.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida