Re: Nepenthes ampullaria concern

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 02 1998 - 17:02:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 02 Feb 98 20:02 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes ampullaria concern

Dear Peter,

> I have a question concerning the slow, almost nil growth of my N.
> ampullaria over the past several months. Moreover, I am seeing no
> pitcher development. I am growing two plants in a sealed 10 gallon
> aquarium (plenty of humidity I should think). I keep two 40 watt
> flourescent tubes above the plants, a typical shoplight, around 12
> inches from the nepenthes. The tank temperature is around 74 F.
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~

During the day and night? Anyway, if that's you highest temp for the
day, I think your plant is feeling a bit chilly. After watching my
lowlanders for several years. (Each year I have more and the older ones
keep getting bigger and changes in humidity and temp seem to affect
the larger plants even more than the little ones...) I have noticed
that lowland Neps, like N.ampullaria and N.rafflesiana stall out in
winter. Oddly, it seems to take awhile for the lowered temps to slow
the growth of lowlanders, while too much heat quickly shows it's face
by stopping the growth of pitchers in highlanders.

Dave Evans