Re: N. ventricosa

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 30 1998 - 16:04:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 30 Jan 98 19:04 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. ventricosa

Hello Ide,

> I guess N. ventricosa is not an hybrid. N. burkei is as subspecies, if I'm
> right.

  You are just about 100% correct! There are hybrids being sold
as either N.ventricosa or N.alata. They often turn out to be
N.* ventrata, the hybrid between N.ventricosa and N. alata. One
thing to watchout for here is: N.alata has a petiole, if your
N.alata comes without one (or a half-way attempt at one, it's
probably N.* ventrata. While N.ventricosa has no petiole, if there
is a wave or constriction (half-way attempt at a petiole) near
where the leaves join the stem, it will probably turn out to be
N.ventrata.

(this part below has nothing to do with N.alata)
  So far, I can't see any diffence between them. N. burkei, in my
opinion isn't even a subspecies. Just N.ventricosa with the name
N.burkei stuck on the label next to it. Now, the plants labelled
with N.burkei tend to be larger for the same conditions compared
with those labelled N.ventricosa, but so what? All the N.burkei
plants going around are clones made from one or just a few plants.
Couldn't there also be other plants from the N.burkei type location
that are the same size as N.ventricosa??? The differences between
the two seem to be only "personal" (coloration and size) in nature
not even a different variety.
  I have seen more diversity between different clones of N.maxima.
  However, I haven't been to the type location (if it still exists)
to look at the plants. Has anyone else been to the Phillipines to
see?

**This is just my opinion, and I'm not an expert on Nepenthes morphology
yet, so don't go changing your labels until some more work is done.**

Dave Evans