Propagation of Pings

From: Judy Clark (jclark2712@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 07:44:07 PST

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:44:07 -0500
From: "Judy Clark" <jclark2712@email.msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Propagation of Pings

To: Marco Lichtenberger , It seems you got a handle on proping those pings
,
but I see you pull them off when there starting to grow again. They do grow
better that way ,but the advantage is by taking them in January ,you will
all ready have a plant by the time you are going to take the cuttings in May
or June . As to how you fertilize the Ping flowers .It is a simple matter of
taking a small toothpick and sharping it to a small point ,then dull the end
of it a little .Next grasp the flower gently and insert it into the long
spur through the center of the flower with a upperward motion deposit the
pollen onto the ovary or beard of the flower. You may have to do this once a
day for several days for it to take.The flower will fall away and leave the
seed pod to ripen. I do not do this because it is so easy to produce them
from the little Sedum like leaves,and because vegetively you know that it is
the same clone you started with.The Mexician pings are far easier group of
plants to grow than any of temperate or tropicals .I thought you might want
to know what kinds I'm growing at this time so here's my list : Mexican
Pinguicula ; P.ehlerserae X P. oblingiloba
P.(moranensis P.ehlersae) X P. sethos P.X mala (caudata X gypsicola) P.
kewensis P. rosei P. moranensis. and others . I'm far more interested in
the BAD BOY plants like Sarracenia's and Fly Traps .But the Mexician
Pinguicula will always have a spot or section of my heart and greenhouse.Any
of you can Email me privatly at jclark2712@msn.com David Crump aka
"Butch" @ Carolina Carnivorous Gardens.........................