RE: VFT pollination

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 10:49:00 PST

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:49:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: VFT pollination

>I have heard that inbreeding in animals is detrimental and increases
suseptibility
>to diseases, would this be the case with plants also? I know that
>many plants are often self pollinated, would this make the offspring
>plants weaker?

Generally, inbreeding (breeding closely related animals of the same
species) is not a problem. Continued inbreeding of the same closely
related aminals, however, increases the chances of letting detrimental
as well as desired characteristics to surface.

Probably the dog is a good example of breeding closely related siblings
for desired characteristics while at the same time increasing the
possibility of dysplasia. Low fertility is another result of continued
inbreeding. What breeders often do is line breed. Breed closely
related siblings or sibling/parents for several generations and then
outcross to another blood line to prevent undesirable characteristics
from predominating in the gene pool.

Plant breeding probably follows the same principles.

David